Past-President Chris Brouwer
President George Dandalides
President-Elect Dino Serraiocco
Secretary Dan Nelson
Treasurer Richard Benoit
Pat Belanger Michele Kellar
Adam Kettlewell Amy Michajlyszyn
Tom Patterson Jerry Richards
The famous Lake Orion Lighted Boat Parade took place on Friday, August 25th starting at Green's Park. The Lighted Boat Parade event dates back to 2010 and is one of the signature events kicking off the "Dragon On The Lake" weekend festivities.
This event is brought to you by the Lake Orion Lake Assocation and sponsed by RayC's Extreme of Lapeer, Mr. "C" Car Wash, Ricks On The Lake and Creative Embroidery.
The parade was led by the famous "Fire Breathing Dragon" now owned and operated by Dino Serraiocco.
A panel of judges determined the top four boats based on decorations, lighting, eye appeal and participant enthusiasm.
2023 Lighted Boat Parade Winners:
The Lighted Baot Parade is a "free" event but you must be registered in order to win. There is no cost to enter. Registered entries will be assigned a unique number which is displayed on the side of your boat for identification as a Lighted Boat Parade entry. The judges use the assigned number to uniquely identify your boat for the scoring process. The judges only can score boats with an assigned entry number. The judges do not know the participants names.
We are looking forward to another great event next year.
2024 registration details will be posted on this web site and social media.
Lake Orion Fire-Breathing Dragon
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions
Membership Dues are $20.00
2023 LAKE ORION WEED & ALGAE TREATMENT SCHEDULE
MAY 22, JUNE 19, JULY 17, AUGUST 14
- WEATHER PERMITTING -
CLICK BELOW TO DOWNLOAD THE PLM 2023 NOTICE
SAD #2, HAS BEEN APPROVED AND WILL BE A CONTINUATION OF MANAGEMENT AND TREATMENT OF INVASIVE AQUATIC WEEDS ON LAKE ORION
AQUATIC WEED MANAGEMENT IS ESSENTIAL TO PROTECTING THE LAKE AQUATIC HABITAT, LAKE HEALTH AND PROPERTY VALUES
INFORMATIONAL BOOKLETS WITH KEY INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED SAD #2 WERE MAILED TO ALL LAKEFRONT PROPERTY OWNNERS
CLICK THE DOWNLOAD LINK BELOW FOR ACCESS TO THE BOOKLET
As we all became more aware of the proposed three developments by Moceri around the lake, the Lake Orion Lake Association (LOLA) Board became more concerned about the potential impact to the lake. Per the LOLA Bylaws, these concerns were mainly around the potential impact to water quality and water safety. We put together a list of questions and concerns which we provided to the Moceri Team for discussion.
The LOLA Board met with the Moceri Team on Tuesday August 23 getting a detailed presentation of the proposed three developments and discussed the list of questions and concerns in detail. This was a very productive exchange where Moceri provided direct responses to each of the bullets on our list. Assuming Moceri gets approval through the appropriate Village processes, we agreed to continue working together to ensure our mutual interest in preserving the lake’s water quality and water safety.
The following is the list of questions and concerns presented by LOLA to the Moceri Team, with their responses in red font.
• Lake Orion Algae & Weed Management SAD #2 – Approval of the Lake Orion SAD #2 by Orion Township Board highlights the most significant undertaking ever by LOLA and the importance of having a strong lake association. Success was underscored by maintaining complete transparency throughout the process including preparation of Informational Packets announcing the SAD along with key information explaining the SAD in detail. This was followed by an Informational Meeting hosted by LOLA. Using area coordinators from our Neighborhood Weed Treatment Program, we were able to obtain the needed petition signatures in a thirty day period keeping the proposed SAD on track for implementation in 2015. We are very proud of this accomplishment and could not have done it without your support.
• No-Wake Buoy Program – The No-Wake Buoy Program was established in 1986 by LOLA to address lake resident concerns with protection of our shorelines from erosion due to boat wakes. There are seventeen No-Wake buoys in the LOLA fleet with locations approved by DNR permit. This program continues to be a LOLA commitment to Lake Orion. LOLA volunteers maintain the fleet including seasonal installation and removal of the buoys. Funding for the program comes from membership dues and Buoy-Buddy donations.
• Water Quality – LOLA participates in state-wide water quality monitoring program through the Michigan Lakes & Streams Association Cooperate Lakes Monitoring Program conducting seasonal water quality testing of Lake Orion’s water. Testing monitors water clarity and, chlorophyll and phosphorus levels in the lake. Results of these tests can be viewed by visiting www.micorps.net.
• Oakland County Sheriff Marine Division Boat Patrols – LOLA has been instrumental in coordinating with Orion Township and Oakland County Sheriff’s Department Marine Division to continue the Marine patrols on Lake Orion.
• Dragon On The Lake (DOTL) Lighted Boat Parade & Dragon Boat Races – LOLA is responsible for the Lighted Boat Parade which is the kickoff for the DOTL weekend. LOLA also supports the Dragon Boat races by providing the safety patrols for the race area to assure that the boating spectators keep their boats in the viewing area.
• 2022 Lighted Boat Parade was reported to be one of the best ever. The Lake Orion Fire breathing Dragon again lead the parade around the lake breathing out fire all the way. Fun was had by all. Many thanks to Ray Cs Extreme of Lapeer for their support.
First Place Boat - Mike & Karen Frontera
Second Place Boat - John Strand
Third Place Boat - Kathy VandenBoom
Honorable Mention Boat - Drew Brouwer
Many thanks to all who participated. Looking forward to next year!
Special thanks to Ray C's Extreme of Lapeer for sponsoring this event.
The parade was lead by the famous Lake Orion Dragon tamed and handled by Dino Serraiocco and his crew. Well done Dino!
The parade was hosted by the Lake Orion Lake Association (LOLA)
2022 Dragon On The Lake & Lighted Boat Parade Video by Joe Johnson of Orion ONTV
Video filmed by Orion ONTV's Pat Belandger
Lake Orion Lake Association
P.O. Box 446, Lake Orion, MI 48361
• Your help starts by joining LOLA and become part of an organization dedicated to our lake community
• You can also help by volunteering for a committee
• You can become an ambassador for LOLA by passing the word and encouraging others to join
• If you do not want not to join but still want to help, you can make a donation to help defray our expenses
Looking forward to seeing you join LOLA today
Your support is key to LOLA’s success!